The Jed Foundation’s mission is to promote emotional health and prevent suicide among college and university students. To achieve this end, the organization collaborates with the public and leaders in higher education, mental health, and research to produce and advance initiatives that:
- Increase understanding of the warning signs of suicide and emotional disorders and the fact that emotional distress can be managed, mental illness treated and suicide prevented.
- Facilitate adoption of a comprehensive, community-based approach to mental health promotion and suicide prevention on campuses
- Foster help-seeking so that those who need supportive services reach out to secure them, or are referred to services by a peer
- Build & strengthen resilience, coping skills and connectedness among young adults, their peers, families and communities
- Raise the importance of mental health services, policies and programs in the college selection process of students and parents